Saturday, June 16, 2012

On my heart lately

This song and its message has been resonating in my heart the past couple of months:


The farther along I go in life the more God develops and grows certain things within me.  Over the past few months He has been making my heart especially sensitive to the poor, the orphan, the sick, and the elderly.  

Jesus said they would know us by our love.  Does the world know me by mine?  It's easy to fool ourselves into thinking that we care more than we actually do.  We have been bred in American culture to love being comfortable.  And often, the poor and sick and hurting make us uncomfortable.  I have a Biblical command by my Savior to take care of widows and orphans--people who cannot take care of themselves.  And the version of the Bible I am reading doesn't seem to indicate that Jesus cares if they are employed, or if they drink, or if they smell.  He just says to do it.  I need to be obedient to my Father and mimic his heart. 

 This is how we've come to understand and experience love: Christ sacrificed his life for us. This is why we ought to live sacrificially for our fellow believers, and not just be out for ourselves. If you see some brother or sister in need and have the means to do something about it but turn a cold shoulder and do nothing, what happens to God's love? It disappears. And you made it disappear. 
 (1 John 3:17-18)

Most days I want to run out and scoop up unwanted babies from all over and take them home with me.  More and more He keeps making my heart tender to vulnerable groups of people.  I pray He continues giving me His eyes for the hurting and entrusting me with the resources to help those in need.  People die every day from lack of clean water.  I eat out while a child goes hungry.  It startles me how much my daily life and that of fellow believers around me speaks of our unconcern for people who go without while we have plenty.  May it not be so.  I am rich in so many things.  I pray that God would make me a generous giver, and that I would be faithful to His commands and callings.  Provide the means Lord, and may my house and my family ever serve those in need!


















No comments:

Post a Comment