Monday, July 9, 2012

Big Prayers



Oh how I needed this reminder this morning!  It's amazing how often I forget just how big and how good my God is.  My prayers often echo the doubts in my heart about His goodness and size.  There have been certain prayers that keep recurring in my heart lately, and I realized in the midst of praying this morning just what kind of prayers they were.  Small prayers.  Puny prayers.  Prayers with the flu it seems like.

I so want my prayers to be healthy and robust.  Not these weak "well at least please bless me with x" type of prayers.  As if God operates on an "at least" basis.

He keeps pushing me to believe --and act on the belief--that He is big and good and able to do so much more than I would imagine.  Ephesians 3:20 has been my favorite verse ever since I read it in my Dad's old "The Way" Bible in his nightstand:

"Now to Him who is able to do more than we dare to ask or even dream of; infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes."--Amen and amen! 

I can look back on the timeline of my life and see big dots of his goodness; a constant succession of Him accomplishing His perfect will for me.  It's good for me to look back and see that goodness, and to remind myself that I can apply that to the unknown of my future.  Things won't turn out how I think they will, or even how I want them to sometimes.  But God is good.  He knows the desires of my heart.  And He desires to bless me.  May you join me in praying big prayers this week and in remembering that God is bigger than we can comprehend.  May you capture part of His goodness this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment