Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY Lemon Scrub

I have a list of things that give me intense sticker shock.  One of them is body scrub.  Even the "cheap" stuff is $10 a jar.  Ten bucks may not be much to some, but holy smokes, I can feed my husband and I for 2 days on $10!  So, given my sticker shock, and the fact that I am trying to stay away from chemicals that pervade everything we buy in America, I decided to make my own body scrub.

I did some research online and really, it's quite simple.  You combine some sugar (white, brown, or both) or salt (epsom or sea), with some oil (olive, coconut, baby, etc) and throw in some sort of scent/flavor.

So, scrubbing agent + oil + scent = body scrub.  Now that's an equation I am capable of doing.  So, here's what I did:


I gathered my ingredients:  sea salt, 1 lemon, and olive oil.


I zested the lemon (is that grammatically correct to say it that way?) and added that to about 1 1/2 cups of sea salt.


So pretty!  I added the juice of half the lemon.  (I love how lemon smells--so happy and clean!)


I slowly added olive oil until it was the right consistency.  I wanted it kinda gloopy without being soggy (that's so scientific, I know).  Really, you can't go wrong.  If you accidentally add too much oil then just add more salt, and vice versa.


The end result!


Some people store their body scrub in cute little jars.  I am the queen of practicality, so this little plastic container works well for me. It also fits nicely on the tiny little bath ledge in the corner of our tub.  And good grief, I am klutz enough on non-slippery surfaces; me and a glass container in a slick tub would most definitely result in me getting stitches.

I really liked how this turned out and am excited to experiment with more "recipes".  I love to exfoliate with a body scrub before I shave--it makes my legs so smooth!

Linking this up at:
Titus Tuesdays
Grace at Home
Living Well Wednesdays 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome! I really love the consistency of it--the sea salt isn't super abrasive, so it's a nice gentle scrub.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I've made scrub for my hands with salt and oil, but I like the idea of adding lemon juice and lemon zest. I just love the smell of lemon, too!

    Thanks for joining Grace at Home!!

    ReplyDelete