Friday, July 13, 2012

Olympic bodies

Are you an Olympics fan?  I remember when the Olympics came to Atlanta in '96 and I made this little notebook that I decorated to put all the Olympic newspaper clippings, etc in.  (I was 14 and ripe in my dweebness at that stage in life).  But hello, the Olympics were practically being held in our backyard, and who can forget Kerri Strug's vault on her injured ankle?! 

We will definitely be watching the Olympics this summer.  My hubs is a huge track and field fan. I myself like diving and gymnastics the best.  You know one reason why I like the Olympics and all the media frenzy surrounding them?  Because they give us great physical ideals to aspire and look up to.  In today's culture we tell women and girls to look like this:

Victoria Beckham

Keira Knightley

Lindsay Lohan
I'm all about being a healthy weight, but most of the women whose bodies we admire are not only entirely too skinny, but they also have little muscle tone.  They look downright sick.  Probably because they live off of skinny lattes and not much else.  And we glorify it.

Contrast that with these amazing women:

Dara Torres

Kerri Walsh

Misty May-Treanor
I mean, ladies, really, would you rather look like an emaciated Holocaust survivor, or a healthy, robust, strong, fantastic looking athlete?  I hope my own daughters will not desire to be super skinny, but instead to be super healthy.  I also hope that for myself and my friends.  So, ladies, let's put down the Diet Coke, and go lift some weights!  Proverbs 31:17 says that a woman of virtue "girds herself with strength and makes her arms strong."  Now that's something to look up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment