Sunday, July 22, 2012

So fresh and so clean, clean

My husband and I have gotten really into all natural living.  We're not hippies who don't bathe or anything; but we have been doing some research into all the chemicals that are in a lot of the products we use on a daily basis, and it is shocking to learn what's in the things we use!

A lot of people don't realize that ingredients in personal care products and makeup, etc. are regulated by the FDA.  (Side note: not that you should trust the FDA.  In my opinion (emphasis: "my opinion") the FDA is in bed with major pharmaceutical companies, etc and let's things into products that are absolutely harmful).  All that to say that we have started pursuing natural alternatives to household and personal care items.  Turns out that living naturally isn't cheap.  We say all the time that if we were wealthy we would have organic everything.  As it is, some things we're just going to have to use the not-so-healthful thing because we can't afford the better-for-us alternative.  

I've been looking into making a lot of my own cleaning and personal care items and kept reading about the beauty of castille soap.   Have you heard of this little gem?  Dr. Bronner's is the most well known brand.  Castille soap is organic and vegetable based and can be used in tons of different ways.  It doesn't contain harsh ingredients and is great for sensitive skin.  

**Our skin is the largest organ of our body.  Anything you put on your skin is absorbed into your body.  Think about it--would you ingest the sunscreen or lotion you currently use?  Many common ingredients in skin care items are known to be harmful to the human body--known, not just suspected.  Parabens and phthalates are the worst and I guarantee they are in just about every skincare product you own. 

I gathered some ideas online and learned that you can use diluted castille soap as a body wash alternative.  I bought this huge bottle at Target for around $12-13.  Not cheap, but if you dilute it that big bottle should last a good long time.  


 



I used an empty body wash container, added some soap, and filled the rest up with filtered water.  I also added some grapefruit essential oil because I am a girl and like to smell like a fruit salad after a shower. :)  I really like it so far.  It doesn't lather up the way normal body wash does, but lathering doesn't equal effectiveness, so I don't miss that.  I think I should use more soap next time; I only filled up the container maybe a fourth of the way at most and it's really runny.  Next time I'm going to try and make it thicker.  It smells wonderful, and I know it's not slowly killing me--success!

No comments:

Post a Comment