Wednesday, August 22, 2012

DIY Shape Box: The Perfect DIY Gift for Little People!

I absolutely love making gifts, especially for kids.  Most kids I know have toys coming out of their ears, so I like to either get them books (because books are always a good gift), or something crafty because it's eventually used up and mom and dad can toss it and not have something else cluttering up their house.

Here is a little something I made for a little 3 year old recently:



I bought an empty playmobile container at my church's yard sale last year for about a dollar.  If you can't find something similar at a thrift store/yard sale, you can buy empty containers that are similar at Walmart (look in the fishing tackle section), or at a craft store (make sure to use a coupon!).


I traced a template of the front with scrap newspaper and then used it to cut out a cover from a sheet of scrapbook paper.  I Mod-Podged it on, and then gave it another coat and let that dry.  I then attached thick sticker's on the front, just to jazz it up some.




I am an avid scrapbooker, so I always have scraps of cardstock on hand.  I used some punches to punch out paper squares, circles, triangles, rectangles, and stars to fill the compartments inside.  Now my little friend can create all sorts of art work and learn his shapes all at the same time.

You could also make some templates of things (trains, ships, houses, etc) on paper with a marker that use the shapes that your recipient could fill in with the shapes from the box.  This was a fun project to make (though I did have to break the punching up a bit because my hand was cramping!)  

I love gifts that help little people learn and be creative; plus it's homemade with love!  Happy crafting!

Linking this up this week at:

Living Well Wednesdays 
Grace at Home 
Whatever Goes Wednesday 




2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I'm not a scrapbooker, so I don't have shape punches--but I do have a circle punch, and the others would be easy to cut with scissors. It would also be pretty cheap to cut the shapes out of foam sheets. You wouldn't need to cut so many to fill up the box.

    Thanks for sharing a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foam is a great idea--especially for smaller hands; foam would be easier to manipulate and handle than paper! Great idea! :)

      Delete