Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Silly Sheep

Photo Credit
My husband and I volunteer with the Middle School Ministry at our church and this past Sunday we talked about Psalm 23 and how Jesus is our Shepherd and we are his sheep.  There is so much good stuff in Psalm 23 that I think we often overlook or don't see simply because we know the verses by heart and think it's just about not being scared to death of death or something.  Psalm 23 is soothing; it helps me calm down by reminding me that, despite what circumstances and their lies may be screaming, I am being well cared for.

My favorite part is verse 2, "He makes me lie down in green pastures."  Sometimes I think my Shepherd has to beat me over the head with his staff and nearly put me in a choke hold before I calm down, lie down, and trust Him.

I am a type A to the extreme.  I love things organized and clutter free.  My closet is color coordinated.  My label maker is one of my favorite possessions.  I make lists about what to make lists about.  I'm a lot like Monica from "Friends", only not quite so neurotic.

All that to say, I really like to have things all laid out and planned for; AKA, I like to be able to control things.  I clean when I get stressed because if my world is spinning out of control and out of my hands, I can still have a say in how my sock drawer looks, gosh darn it!  Life is seldom something you can plan for.  It throws curveballs and fastballs more often than not.  I have to (re)learn again and again to let go and trust my Shepherd.  To stop forcing my plan and my way when that plan could be leading me straight off a cliff or into the mouth of a lion.

My husband started a new job this week (praises!).  It's an exciting time as we enter this new season of having more money while also trying to pay off loans and debt and buy a house and get ready for the next stages of life.  My plan for how this all would go is already thrown off a bit.  I find myself freaking out and forgetting to trust that God has his eye on me; He knows all these things that hit me as frustrating, horrible, unexpected glitches in the plan.  Oh, but His plan is still on track, and it's better than mine!  Who am I to stay that Jesus doesn't have color coordinated and well labeled files on every aspect of my life? 

Often he hits me upside the head with truth and real perspective (usually through the wise and loving words of my husband).  So what if things don't happen the way I had planned for?  The Bible says that God has good things planned for me; that His intentions are good, that He is always there and never forgets about me.  I believe the Bible.  I am who it says I am.  I can have what it says I can have.  I can do what it says I can do.

Today, may you be reminded to trust in the Good Shepherd.  To stop being a stubborn, wiggly sheep; but one who hears his gentle voice and hearkens to it.  May the Shepherd not have to beat some sense in us today! :)

10 comments:

  1. Amanda, I have been needing to trust this week too. At a Wednesday worship service our pastor talked about how "God does just enough just in time" so that we might walk by faith. It's so hard isn't it? And I love Psalm 23. I read a book called A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 a few years ago and it opened my eyes to how David's imagery is really about provision of God the whole way through. I would recommend it if you have time to read it. Blessings to you today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment; I will definitely have to check that book out-thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post- thank you for sharing it! I love how active our Shepherd is- He makes, He leads, He guides, He restores- all for His glory.
    Encouraged to ponder this more today- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sometimes I need the reminder that he never takes a day off--he's always attentive!

      Delete
  4. So glad to have found your blog this morning! Thanks for sharing your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't we just like silly sheep that we have to be made to do the simplist things. I'm so thankful for the Good Shepherd to guide me. So glad I found you through the Allume link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am a reason for Him to show off His patience and kindness--so thankful He watches over us!

      Delete
  6. I love Psalm 23 and just the reminder to let His love quiet my heart...to rest in Him...to abide. Thank you...
    Stopping by to meet you from the Allume link up...decided it would be fun to put a few faces with names before October.
    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to go to Allume! I will not be able to make it this year, but man, what a great time I'm sure it will be! Enjoy it!

      Delete