Monday, August 6, 2012

Zuchinni Bread Recipe

One of the reasons I love summer is because of all the good fruits and vegetables that come in season.  Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables; I love them sauteed, steamed, and of course, in zucchini bread!

My sweet landlord/neighbor has a garden and has been gifting us with produce all summer.  He came to the door yesterday bearing gifts from his garden, including three of these puppies:


I saw this and immediately thought of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and wondered what sort of toxic ooze lays beneath my landlord's garden that makes his vegetables so freakishly large.


I mean seriously, I have huge feet, and look at this sucker in comparison!


In honesty, I don't know why he doesn't pick them before they get this big.  They don't taste as good when they're that large.  But, who knows.  Beggars can't be choosy.

As we were leaving in a few days to go on vacation, I decided to shred them all up and freeze so that I can enjoy zucchini bread all year long, and not just in the summer.


Here is a picture of my counter top after the massacre.


All ready to freeze!  And then to bake, and devour!  Here is my mama's zucchini bread recipe.  If you have never tried zucchini bread and think the very idea sounds disgusting, you need to try it!  You can't taste the zucchini at all; it just serves to keep the bread nice and moist (which means this bread will also mold really quickly if you store it and don't eat it quickly!  Either devour it soon, keep it in the fridge, or store in smaller containers not all together).  Get ready to enjoy some cinnamony goodness!

Mom's Zucchini Bread
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3 cups flour (I've used both white and wheat and got good results both ways)
3 cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup oil
3 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
3 tsp cinnamon

Combine sugars, oil, and eggs.  Blend.
Add zucchini and vanilla.  
Add flour and spices.  Blend well.
Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
Bake at 325 for 45-60 minutess.
Let cool in pan, then remove and enjoy!


Linking up at Grace at Home

4 comments:

  1. I just made zucchini bread a couple of days ago with an almost exact same recipe. I substituted half the oil with Greek yogurt because my oldest encouraged and that change was great.

    I love the tidbit about freezing shredded zucchini. I didn't know that was possible so thanks for the great tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to substitute the oil with Greek yogurt; I'll have to try that!

      Delete
  2. Oh, thank you. I have an old zucchini bread recipe that I haven't used in 20 years; I was wondering if it was good. Now I'll have yours to compare. :)

    Those are some big zucchini!! You'll be set for bread for awhile, though, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are huge! I have enough zucchini to make bread all winter!

    ReplyDelete