Wednesday, September 19, 2012

DIY Wall Art (Poster Repurposing)

I love crafting and repurposing things I have.  I came up with this little project several years ago and thought I would share.

Like any good college student, I had an abundance of posters.  Here's one that I had.  It's called "Once Upon A Tandem". 

It has a great little poem/story on it and I loved it.  But after college, my tastes began to change and I wanted something new.  I was making about $1,000 a month at that time so I didn't exactly have a budget for home decor.  Having few or no resources forces ones creativity, though, so here's what I did.

I took the poster out of the frame and covered the backside with a piece of leftover wrapping paper.


This was a leftover scrap,but you could also go find some cute wrapping paper that had colors you wanted and use that.  (Target always has cute printed wrapping paper for great prices. Hallmark is a great place to look, too).  I glued the wrapping paper down, trimmed it to fit the poster, then got to work on the other part.

I'm a lover of words, so wanted to frame some words that were meaningful to me.  For this particular piece, I chose The Message translation of Ephesians 5:1-2.  I opened up Word and typed out the verse, picking a font I liked, and making it a big size (I used 100 but it really depends on the size of your poster and the length of your quote or verse or whatever.)



Then I cut the words out. 

 

This does not have to be precise!  Don't worry about making perfect cuts and straight lines.  Just cut out the words, and then the letters and punctuation.  





Once I had everything laid out I arranged all of them on the poster and got them where I wanted them.  Then I just glued them down.




I used a glue stick but you could also use Modge Podge (or just watered down Elmer's glue).  Whatever you have on hand should be fine!




Once you're done, put it back in the frame, and TA-DA!!


Cheap, cute, made-by-you art!  This one hangs in my office, and I have another I did in here of another verse.  You could also frame a favorite quote of one of your kids for their room, or quotes about love for the bedroom.  Or even make something seasonal and do Christmas or Halloween themed ones and just switch them out.  Really, the possibilities are endless!  Happy Crafting!


Linking up at:
Living Well Wednesdays

Grace at Home












2 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! Amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it--even with almost no budget! Necessity is the mother of invention, right? :)

    Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the poorer I get, the more creative I get :)

      Delete