Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Get out of a funk

Do you ever find yourself in a funk?  I'm not talking about being depressed, or dealing with something really hard and tragic in life.  Just a funk.  A temporary blah-ness. 

Often, for me, these times of funk are associated with hormones.  The times that seem to be worse for me are the times when funks don't coordinate with hormonal ups and downs.  I think it's because in those times, I don't have something to blame it on.  I don't have a time table of when it's going to be over and I think there is a little part of me that begins to freak out and think that my funk will be permanent and that I'm entering a season of depression.  I walked through a season of being clinically depressed before, and man, that is no fun, so I think I always have this lingering thought in the back of my mind that that season will return.  It hasn't though (praises to Jesus!), and normally, getting out of a funk just takes a little bit of time and some doing on my part.

I have learned that living my life best means doing the things that work for me.  It's good to read other people's stories and get ideas from them, but I have to realize what works for me and go with that.  So, here's what helps me:

  • Sunlight.  Our bodies were made for sunshine.  I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder and can even start feeling it this time of year (and we've just started the non-summer season!).  As much as I am opposed to tanning beds, the past couple of years I have gone during the winter just for some UV rays.  I try to peek outside at least a few minutes a day during work.  My 2nd job the past couple of years I have been able to get outside some, but not here.  Trips to the mailbox are great.  I am trying to get in the habit of taking a walk around our building for just a couple of minutes when the weather is nice.
  • Exercise.  Endorphins are great, and working out gives me confidence and puts me at ease.  So I bound out of bed first thing in the morning before my mind has time to tell me it's not a good idea, and go to the gym 4 times a week.
  • Eating healthy.  This is hard, especially when you're in a funk and all you want is carbs and chocolate and Starbucks.  I eat really well for breakfast and lunch during the week, and we try to eat relatively healthy for dinner.  If I'm in a funk, I have a tendency to want to bake (because I love doing it) and eat up everything I bake.  So, I have to find other things to do so I don't fall into that.  The more good things I put in my body, the better I feel.
  • Clean or organize something.  Cleaning is my therapy.  If I'm stressed or feeling blue or just whatever, I need to clean something.  Mop the kitchen floor.  Clean the bathtub.  Organize my sock drawer.  Something.  I enjoy the process, not just the end result of something being clean and neat.  I think it's helpful for me because it keeps my brain occupied, so I can't dwell on things or over think them.  Plus, sometimes it's just therapeutic to get rid of stuff and de-clutter. 
  • Get outside of myself.  Call a friend.  Pray for someone--more than just a one sentence pray.  It helps to focus on others and surround yourself with people.
  • Shave my legs.  This may seem silly, but if you're feeling yuck, sometimes a good hot shower, shaving your legs, and washing your hair can make you feel brand new.  It's always amazed me how many ills a hot shower can cure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment