Friday, October 12, 2012

Halloween Costumes


I love Halloween.  It is a a close 2nd to Christmas of being my favorite holiday.  One of the things I love about Halloween is costumes!  We didn't do the Halloween thing a ton growing up (it's one of the downfalls in living in such a rural area...you don't really trick-or-treat when your closest neighbors is a mile down the road).  Even though I didn't get to dress up in a costume much growing up, I definitely enjoyed it in college and ever since then. I mean, seriously, who doesn't love to dress up and pretend to be someone or something else??

A few years ago I dressed up as Marilyn Monroe.  I like playing up my blond hair, so usually go for characters that have blond hair.  I loved being Marilyn!  So fun!

My husband likes characters that share his baldness. :)  When we first started dating, I dressed up as Tinkerbell and he dressed up as Dr. Evil from Austin Powers for our friend Robby's party.  He (my husband) even talked like Dr. Evil all night.  It was pretty epic.

Not quite as epic as this:



Mr. Clean!  Does he not look just like him?  White eyebrows, gold hoop and all.  Love it!  They should make him the new cover of the cleaning product, in my humble, totally not biased opinion :)



Last year, Dave dressed up as Professor Xavier from X-Men.  He read people's minds all night.  I dressed up as Thor.  I even gave myself a beard.  It was pretty spectacular.  Even more so considering that combined, our costumes costs less than $5.


Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Because of Dave's affinity for bald characters, I have made him promise that if we have a little red haired girl, we will dress her up as Annie and he as Daddy Warbucks one year.  It will be simply glorious.  I cannot wait.
Photo courtesy of Wendy's Wizard of Oz
The one character I have always wanted to be is Glinda the Good Witch from "The Wizard of Oz".  Her costume proves a challenge though because the cheap ones you can get at stores are no where poufy enough.  And hello, if you are going to be Glinda, you must have a dress large enough that it swallows children whole.  I mean, check out those sleeves.  Bowling balls could be stored in there!

Some day, Glinda, you shall be mine.  I will dress up my children as Munchkins, and it will be grand.  Until then...I dream of you!

What's your favorite Halloween costume you've ever had?








10 comments:

  1. I am dying over Thor. DYING! That is SO FUNNY! And I love that one year you're all hot and gorgeous as Marilyn ... and then Thor. That makes my day. Mr. Clean is awesome too. I love it :) I haven't dressed up in such a long time! Last time I did that, I went as Hermione in a Hermione/Harry duo. But that's not as spectacular as Thor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thor was fun to do. Although, I made my beard by cutting up some gold fake fur and sticking it on my fave with petroleum jelly. About an hour into the party my beard started melting off my face! HAHA! So, I "shaved" part way through the night! :)

      Delete
  2. I am making this costume the Glinda costume this year! I found an old wedding dress for $30 at goodwill from the 90's that has a huge tulle skirt and am dying it and altering it with the fabric from the train. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun! and so jealous! :) That's a great idea...I'll have to keep my eye out next time I'm at Goodwill!

      Delete
  3. i love holidays .. specially halloween i love wearing Halloween Costumes ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was browsing for really scary, funny, amazing, cool, clever,dyi and unique Halloween costumes and so I found this post. I hope it’s fine with you if I could pin some to my Pinterest boards. Thank you so much and keep on sharing informative posts !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog, I like to read and I It will not hesitate to visit this site again
    happy wheels
    super mario bros
    pacman
    agario

    ReplyDelete