Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I say a little prayer for you...

Sometimes I forget to pray.

Isn't that ridiculous?  I have access to the most powerful being, who is an ally and is earnestly awaiting my talking to him, and I forget to do it. 

Often I remember to pray for others, but forget to pray for myself.  Or I will remember to pray for "big" things, and not for others.  Instead I fret and worry.  Worry, which does nothing for me other than make me stressed, and which is sin by the way.  Prayer on the other hand, makes me calm and at peace.  And it works! 

*Nerd alert*

I am a fan of the Duggar family.  Granted, I don't agree with a lot of their personal beliefs or some specific things they do to raise their family.  But, I always get encouragement from watching their show.  I read their first book this past spring and was really encouraged by the stories in it of the hard times early in their marriage and how God answered specific prayers.  I know God answers prayer, but sometimes it's good to hear specific examples of how he provides. 

At this point in time, Dave was in school, our medical insurance was crap, and we didn't have dental insurance.  About 2 years ago, we had gotten dental cleanings at a free dental clinic that a dentist in our church used to run on Saturday mornings.  He had told me at that time that I had a small cavity that would need to be fixed.  Before we could get that taken care of, he ended up having to close his clinic from lack of volunteers. 

After I read the Duggar's story, I told Dave that I felt that we should pray that God would provide a way to get our teeth cleaned.  So we did.  I emailed Dr. Chesney (the dentist who ran the clinic), explained that we did not have insurance and that my husband was in school full time, and that I needed a cleaning and a cavity fixed, and that we had come to his free clinic before it closed.  I asked if his office offered any sort of payment plan so that we could get those things taken care of.  He emailed back that very same day saying to come in and he would take care of it free of charge, and that the only thing he asked was that when we were able we would pass on generosity to someone else.

How awesome is that???  I prayed for a need.  It wasn't even a huge one.  I wasn't in pain, it wasn't a desperate thing.  It's just something we needed.  And God provided.  Through the good heart of a gracious dentist, I was able to get my teeth cleaned and by cavity fixed.

I tell this story to show that prayer is powerful, and that God is an abundant giver.  Talk to him.  Ask him for what you need.  Ask him for what you want.  Put following Him above all else, and He will take care of you.  He is much bigger and much more of a giver than we give him credit for. 

What will you pray for today?  Be encouraged--God heads and provides!


No comments:

Post a Comment