Monday, October 1, 2012

My Two Cents: Movies



Photo courtesy of IMDB


My husband and I are Marvel movie fanatics.  This movie came out two days ago on DVD.  Guess how many times we've watched it?  Yep, two.  We're a *wee* bit obsessed.

I never knew I would like comic book movies so much.  I never really loved the Batman or Superman movies I saw as a kid.  Then I saw "Iron Man" with some guy friends of mine and was surprised by how much I liked it.  Then I saw "The Hulk" and liked it, too.  Then "Thor" came out and I was in love. 

I have always loved epic stories.  Heroes, villains, good triumphing over evil.  An awesome battle scene.  Flawed characters who overcome.  (That must be why I love the Bible so much; it has all of that!)

If you haven't seen "Avengers", I definitely recommend it!  Although, you really should see the movies about the individual characters first. 

Here are some other epic movies that I love:

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia
  "The Last of the Mohicans"
Hands down, my favorite movie of all time.  History, action, and romance all rolled into one?  Yes, please!  Not to mention that it was filmed in western NC which is near and dear to my heart.  I absolutely love this movie.  And the music in it?  Epic.


Photo courtesy of IMDB

 "The Shawshank Redemption"
Not exactly epic in a battle type of way.  But, this movie is a must see.  It is a fantastic story of redemption.  It still amazes me when I run into people who have never seen this.  It is so good!  


Photo courtesy of IMDB
"Saving Private Ryan"
I lost all respect for the Academy Awards the year that "Shakespeare in Love" won over this.  I put this in the "Schindler's list" category, meaning, it may not be pleasant to watch, but everyone needs to see this.  Oh gosh, I can't even explain it.  My dad and his brothers were so torn up when the medic dies, because my Grandpa was a medic in WWII.  I consider it everyone's civic duty to watch this movie.  

Photo from IMDB

"Band of Brothers"
A mini-series instead of a single DVD.  Worth watching.  These are epic.  The book was fantastic as well, though for me, the movies were a bit easier to follow and make character and battle distinctions.  I have the highest respect for people in the military.  These were so well done, and based on real people, which makes them all the more fabulous.







No comments:

Post a Comment