Friday, December 28, 2012

DIY Crayons

This is a great craft/gift if you have lots of broken crayons lying around your house.  As I had none of those, I snagged a big bag of misc. crayons at a yard sale for cheap.

Unwrapping all those crayons was a bear.  I had so much crayon under my fingernails and my poor fingers were all red and swollen.  What kind of glue to they use on that crayon paper?  My stars, you could use that to repair automobiles and small planes it's so good!

Anywho, one the paper was off I broke them up into smaller pieces and separated them by color.  Now, there are several ways you can do this next part.  One, you could put them straight into an old muffin tin that you don't intend on using anymore (I grabbed this one for .50 at Goodwill).  Then just pop it into your oven on super low for a few minutes until the crayons are melted. 

As you can see, I used two colors in each tin.  I swirled them around with a toothpick when I got them out of the oven.  If you do this, you get a nice swirly crayons.  I melted them on low in the oven for just a few minutes.  No science to it; just check them every few minutes and once the pieces are all melted you're good to go.  I let the tins cool and then put them in the freezer for 10 minutes.  This makes them easy to slide right out of the tin.

I also had a plastic candy mold in the shape of Christmas trees that I wanted to use to make crayons; but as it was plastic, I couldn't put it in the oven.  So, instead I put the crayon pieces in old cans I had washed out, and created a double boiler by putting an inch or so of water in my electric skillet and setting the cans in it.  (My skillet can hold water; some don't because the lip isn't high enough so just use a pot on the stove instead).

Once they were melted I poured the crayons into the mold, let them cool, and voila!  Christmas crayons!


Easy peasy!  The bigger crayons are great for smaller kids too because they are easier to hold on to.  Happy coloring!

No comments:

Post a Comment