Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I'm sewing!

My friend Rachel got a new sewing machine last spring, and as she 1.  is a sweetheart, and 2.  knew that I had been wanting one, she gave her old sewing machine to me.  Yay!  It has sat for quite some time unused because we have limited space to do crafts in our tiny house, and I was months behind in my scrapbook and then made some gifts for friends, etc, etc.  I knew I wanted to have a good chuck of time to play around with it before I got it out, but finally, the time has come! 


I pulled her out a couple weeks ago, learned how to thread it, made some bobbins, and started sewing away.  She is older than I am I think, and definitely has her quirks.  I am so excited to learn how to sew!  My mom was a fantastic seamstress; she made me the best dress up clothes and Halloween costumes.  I don't know that I am that ambitious with my sewing skills, but I want to be able to make some basic things for myself and my family.  I have discovered that being good at sewing is a matter of a lot of practice, and a lot of mistakes.  I had seen this tutorial on how to practice sewing, so I sat down on a recent day off and practices for a couple of hours (man, how time flies when you're sewing!). 

Here I made straight lines with a ruler and practiced sewing straight (sometimes my stitches look like those of a drunkard);


Ta-da!

 
I discovered that back stitching is my new nemesis.   My fabric keeps getting eaten, as if a small little fabric eating dragon resides in the bellows of my machine.  That will take some practice.  I have a vast array of sewing projects on my Pinterest board that I cannot wait to try out, especially all the ones for cute skirts and maxi dresses.  Hopefully this new little hobby will be something I can keep practicing and get better at.  Only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment