Wednesday, January 23, 2013

When I Get the Urge to Make Homemade Mayo

My hubs works late a couple nights a week, and I use them to clean and watch things he has no interest in seeing.  He got me the DVD "Julie and Julia" for Christmas so tonight I took advantage of his absence to watch it.  I so love this movie!  Mostly because I am completely obsessed with Julia Child.  And I love the story of two women who are in their 30's trying to figure out what the heck they are supposed to do with their lives.

I've read just about every book there is on Julia Child.  Own quite a few of them.  Ironically enough, I don't own "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".  I haven't wanted one.  First of all, because it's full of complicated recipes for foods that, quite frankly, I don't think I would ever have the desire to cook.  Secondly, our house is tiny and that book rivals our TV in size and weight; where would be put that sucker?

After tonight though, I am eager to get my hands on a copy, if for no other reason that to read all that Julia has to say on homemade mayonnaise.  I don't even really like it, but I want to make some.  Dave uses mayo on his sandwiches that he takes to work each day.  Imagine making it homemade and not getting the chemical laden junk from the store.  I wonder how long homemade mayo lasts?  Is it hard?  Perhaps this needs to be something that I try out.

I like this movie too because it features a woman making complicated dishes in her tiny NYC apartment kitchen, which is slightly larger than mine.  It is no secret that my tiny kitchen is a major source of frustration. But if a woman can make do in NYC, then I make do here (and I have a dishwasher, too).

(enter resolve to not be so frustrated with tiny kitchen here)

My cooking endeavors of the day include toasting bread onto which I put dark chocolate peanut butter.  I am a grade A chef. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment