Sunday, February 17, 2013

Perfect Pie Crust

Traditionally, I am not much of a pie person.  Or cake even.  (Give me a muffin or cinnamon roll however, and I'll tell you a different story).

However, occasionally I do like a good pie.  I have a strong aversion to store bought pie crust.  It always tastes like plastic.  Does anyone else feel this way?

Pies are a hard thing to master from a baking stand point.  Especially the crust.  I was scouring the Internet for a quick and easy pie crust recipe and came across this little gem of a recipe.

It is fantastic!!  Super easy, and so so good!


Doesn't that look so yummy?  My mom had brought me some homemade pearsauce, so I used to that to make her Applesauce Pie.  Similar to an apple pie, only you use applesauce and not apples.  Easy peasy and oh so good!

**Now, please do not think you can achieve good results with a can of Mott's or other store brand applesauce.  Granted, I've never tried it that way.  We've always used homemade.  If you don't have homemade applesauce sitting on your shelf, or a Mom like mine who brings you some, I'm sure you could find some somewhere.  Or even make it; applesauce (from what I hear) is a pretty easy thing to make.

Here's the recipe for Applesauce Pie:



Make pie crust (or use store bought; your preference)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

For filling, mix together:
1 pint apple/pearsauce
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour

Pour into unbaked pie crust shell.

For topping, mix together:
3/4 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c sliced thin butter
Crumble/mix and spoon on top.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. You can put foil on top the last 5-10 to keep it from browning too much.


This is a really easy, really fast pie to make if you have company coming or just want to satisfy that apple/cinnamon craving.  Enjoy!

Linking up at Grace at Home

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. . . seems like this would be easy and I'll take your word for the taste! Do you have a photo of the topping? I'd love to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't! We devoured it before I even thought to take a pic :)

    ReplyDelete