Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Birds of the air

Our back porch is quite the bird haven.  Last spring we had 5 different nests made.  This spring we only had two.  The last set we thought only had one baby bird.  Then we saw another, and then eventually we saw three.  Turns out, there were four little birdies in there.  The hubs snuck quietly out and stood on our little step stool to take this pic of them one afternoon; I love that we were able to get all 4 in the picture!



They were so fun to watch!  As they got bigger they started flapping their wings and testing them out.  We were hoping we would be able to watch them fly off (we got to see that from one of our nests last year and it was so cool!), but alas, they all flew off while we were both at work one day.

I never loved birds growing up, but man, I have fallen in love with them over the past couple years as I've gotten to watch their little lives start.  Every time I see one now, it makes me think of Jesus' words in Matthew 6.

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

I really love how the Message version words it:

Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.

"Careless in the care of God"; don't you just love that??  How often we forget that we are to rest in Him; that He has everything taken care of and will provide.  Life is never promised to be easy, but He promises to care for us.  He knew every one of those little birdies that lived on my porch this spring; he knew which worm their mama would take back to the nest. How silly of me that I think sometimes that He doesn't know what's going on in my life, or worry that He won't provide.  Oh, that He would help me to live free and unfettered as the birds of the air, not weighed down with worry, but free in trust and faith in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment