Tuesday, June 11, 2013

This is why I love summer

Finally, the weather around here has gotten itself together and it finally feels like summer.  One of the perks of my hubs is that when I married him, I got a jeep wrangler along with him.  And oh man, there is nothing like a summer drive in the jeep with the top down!

We packed a cooler of food Sunday and headed out with really only a vague idea of where we were headed.  We ended up on the Foothills Parkway where we eventually stopped and ate lunch on the side of the road.
*Side note:  One of my favorite things about summer is the food, and hello, summer tomatoes are so darn good I can hardly stand it.  None of those wimpy barely red things from winter, thank you very much.  The tomato on my sandwich totally made the sandwich what it was.  Who knew tomatoes held such power?



After that, we meandered through the Dragon (one of the twistiest roads in existence I think) stopping when we came around a curve and there was a motorcyle on the ground and no rider; it's eerie when you come across that.  People die on the Dragon every year.  We turned around and went back and someone else had already stopped and was down the mountain helping the rider up who was thrown.  Luckily, he was OK but man, it got our hearts pumping!  Hubs was concerned he was going to have to do CPR on somebody.

Anywho, we drove to the end of the Dragon and went on to Fontana Dam. a place hubs has never been and that I haven't been to since I was a kid.  It was so pretty and a gorgeous day to be going somewhere like that.



This is what happens when I ask my husband to take a picture of us; he is a nerd.

View of the Lake.  The Appalachian Trail goes right across the top of the dam.

View of the dam.  It was really cool reading about the history of the dam and how integral it was to WWII.

This is the hubs' "man stance."

No comments:

Post a Comment