Monday, October 7, 2013

Guess who's coming to dinner?


You know that question people ask of "If you could invite anyone, dead or alive, to a dinner party, who would you invite?"  Without giving it too much thought ('cause really, that whole "invite the dead" thing could really open this up to quite the event), here is my list.  I thought I would limit it to a seating of 12 and as I would be there, that means there are 11 spots available for this highly coveted imaginary event.

1.  Robin Williams

Because let's face it.  Dinner parties without a funny person are just dull.  I like a lively event.  And as Robin here does so many different voices, he could probably impersonate anyone who I wanted to invite that didn't make the list.

2.  Ellen Degeneres

Because she too is funny, and because she asks interesting questions.  She would definitely keep the conversation going.

3.  Julia Child

Because I love her, and because she would probably cook for us.

4.  Veronica Roth


Author of my favorite book series.  She's young and smart and incredibly talented.  I would want to pick her brain about how she comes up with her characters.

5.  Kate Middleton


Because not only is she a real life princess, but I think she's classy and really, we know more about her wardrobe than we do about her, and I would love to get her thoughts and commentary on things.

6.  Jesus


I know what you're thinking, "such a church answer!", but really, Jesus loved himself some dinner parties.  And he loves people--everyone, and I would love love love to have him at dinner with people of varied backgrounds and beliefs to see how he would react and respond to people.

7.  Teddy Roosevelt


Because he said things like this:  If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble you wouldn't sit for a month.  Boom.  And things like this:  I am a part of everything that I have read.

He's awesome.

8.  My grandpa

I don't have any pictures of him to snag from the internet.  Grandpa died when I was three and I never really knew him apart from the stories my dad has told me.  I would want him there, just to get a peek into who he was.

9.  Dave




More fun than a barrel of monkeys this one, and if I could, I'd have him with me all the time.

10.  Greg Pinkner


See that fat head?  Yeah, that's my pastor.  You know he'd be fun.

11.  Ah, my last guest!  A lot of people were up for grabs, but eventually I decided to go with a girl to balance out the genders.  And here's who I picked:

Carol Burnett


Because Miss Hannigan is one of the best characters of all time.

Too bad I can't make this dinner party actually happen.  It would be pretty epic.  Man, if we added fictional characters to the list I would have been in quite the quandary.  Good thing I kept it simple.

I think it's so interesting to think about what conversation could flow from such a varied group of guests.  Granted, Dave and I could invite 10 people we actually know to dinner and with the right mix, those ten could create quite the evening I'm sure.  Makes me want to put together a dinner.  In the meantime, I'll just imagine the conversation turning to politics or Miley Cyrus with this eclectic bunch seated around my dinner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment