Wednesday, October 30, 2013

On my bookshelf: October

Here's a list of all that I read in October:

1. Mockingjay:  Suzanne Collins

This was a reread.  I read Catching Fire a few weeks ago to remind myself of details before the movie comes out in November, and well, you can't read Catching Fire and not just keep going.  Love this series.  This book was less dark reading it the second time, I guess because I already knew who was going to die and how it all ended, which certainly made it easier to read.

2.  Beyond the Summerland: LB Graham
Couldn't get into this one.  It was just too much.  Too many names (names of characters, of places, of horses, of weapons).  It dragged and dragged so I finally gave up about 100 pages into it.

3.  Behind the Scenes at the Museum:  Kate Atkinson
I loved her "Life After Life" but couldn't get into this one.  Granted, "Life after Life" was hard to get into too and I ended up loving it.  But I couldn't make myself keep going with this one.

4.  Throne of Glass: Sarah Maas
This was a reread to prepare for the sequel.  (I have to refresh my brain like that). I think I liked this book the first go round but really liked it the second go round.

5.  Crown of Midnight:  Sarah Maas
The sequel to Throne of Glass.  Ah, loved it!  The author has 8-9 books in this series planned, and I am hoping they all get published.  I cried at the end.

6.  Allegiant: Veronica Roth


This is the end to the Divergent series, which I really think may be my favorite series ever.  You have no idea how much it means that I say that.  I've NEVER had a favorite book.  There's always been quite a few.  These have left me undone.  I won't ruin it for you by telling you how this last one turns out, but I was left completely undone.  I sound like a 12 year old saying it, but it absolutely split my soul in two.

I think that's why I love stories.  Because they have that ability.  Because even though they are fiction, there are truths in them that resonate within us.  So very deeply sometimes.  And that is what this did to me.  Because the world is broken.  And redemption is possible.  No matter how broken things get.



No comments:

Post a Comment