Monday, December 30, 2013

2014 Intentions and Goals



So, I kindof love a new year.  A fresh beginning.  A new slate.  A jumping off point for things.

I think I like New Year's more now as an adult since I don't have the beginning of a school year to serve as my jumping off point.  I used to not really think about the new year in January, because to me, the new year started in August when school did.  It's amazing really how long it has taken me to adjust into not having a school year be the starting point of things.

Anyways, I've been giving a lot of thought to what I want 2014 to look like.  2013 was a pretty stellar year, and I don't think I realized it until I started reflecting back on it.  But more happened than what I first thought.   And while we can't predict what will happen in a year, and while I always want to give God lots of margin to totally blow my socks off, there are some specific things I want to aspire to and be intentional about.  So here they are, my plans and hopes for 2014.
  • Have people over at our house. I haven't done this mostly because we just moved in five months ago and have been renovating.  But I can already tell that I have this idea that my house as to be put together and perfect, which is a total lie.  I am going to have people over in the midst of our mess, and stop apologizing for the mess.  People are worth having over despite the state of my household cleanliness.
  • Find systems that work.  I am an organizer by nature and am constantly changing how I do things.  Life changes, and so my systems need to change.  I have a few areas that are just lacking in how I do them.  I need to find better ways to organize time and things that works for me.  The more organized I am, the better I feel and the more energy I have.
  • Simplify.  I want to get rid of excess, both in terms of material possessions and things that waste time.  Some of this is going to involve setting limits on things like the internet.  Some of this is going to involve me praying through and figuring what God wants ME to do.  Because He does not intend for me to do everything.  I want to narrow down and focus so that I can do what God wants me to, and do it well.
  • Go deeper with God.  Amazingly (because I know it does wonders for and to me) I do not seek Him out as much or as well as I should.  This year I want this to be different.  I need to be intentional.  I need to read his word and pray. And then repeat daily.  I think I am having a hard time knowing where and how to fit this in.   Mornings don't work for me to have an intentional time with Him because I go straight to the gym and then to work and my brain does not function well enough at that time anyways.  Evenings are pretty much my only option at this point in life.  So my goal (and I want to start this NOW) is to set aside time each day to retreat into our bedroom (because I cannot commune with Jesus while my husband or a TV-or both-are in the room) and spend some minutes alone and quiet.  This is a must do, because regardless of what else happens or what else I do, if I don't be with Jesus, I have wasted my time.
  • Focus on my relationship with Dave.  This goes without saying because he is my husband and is my priority human relationship.  And because I love him to pieces and it if were possible to make a full time job out of hanging out with him, that's what I would want to do :)  I don't want lists or ideas of how to "be there for my husband" (sorry Pinterest), I just want to continue to be present and be intentional.  To listen and encourage and talk to him.
  • Write, write, write.  God has unleashed an obsession with writing in me this past year.  And I must say, I am a little paranoid that I'm going to lose that momentum and passion.  I want to make writing a habit.  I want to be disciplined because even on days when I am scared to write or just feel like I can't do it, somehow those words make it to the page if I just sit and make myself.
  • Invest in who God has given me.  I need to stop comparing friendship in my 30's to what it was when I was in my 20's.  I am not going to have big groups of friends anymore.  And I am OK with that.  I need to focus on those God has given me and love them well.
  • Finish things on my house to do list.  The first on this list is the Dining Room, which I have an unnatural and totally surprising motivation to tackle right now.  (That blasted wallpaper fiasco really did me in I think and the past month I haven't cared one iota about the dining room).  Closets need to be organized.  Pictures need to be put on walls.  Etc. Etc. Etc. (Did you read that with Yul Briner in mind?  If so, cool points for you)
  • Catch up on my scrapbook and stay more current with it.  I am woefully behind.  I've started switching over from regular scrapbooking to Project Life.  Have you heard of it?  If not, go and google it and be amazed.  I love to scrapbook and love this approach because it's easier and not as daunting.  I want scrapbooking to be something I enjoy and not a chore I dread, or else why do it?  I want to get caught up with this year and stay on it.  I also (at some point) want to go back and redo all of my college scrapbooks in Project Life style so that hopefully those years of memories fit in 1 (maybe 2) albums and not the four they are in now, which are falling apart.
  • Pay down debt.  We have four little areas of debt.  Three of those four will be paid off by July of this year.  Hallelujah!  Then all we'll have left is the hubs' student loans, but putting the payments from the 3 towards that one when they are paid off will help.  My loans will be paid off in May, and sweetness, it will be good to have only one payment and not two going to the good old department of education.
  • Take care of myself physically.  This is an ongoing one.  I finally feel back to normal (mostly) after my horrible years long bout with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  Praises to Jesus!  I want to continue hitting the gym and improving my nutrition.  I also have a few areas of natural and holistic care that I want to research and start incorporating into my normal routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment