Sunday, December 29, 2013

Preparing for a New Year


I don't do resolutions but I do like doing goals and thinking about what I want life to look like in the year ahead.  Before I came up with my goals for 2014, I thought it would be helpful to look back on 2013.  To think about what worked and what I'm grateful for.  So here we go:

  • Our house:  this came about through a lot of prayer, a lot of tenacity, and a lot of organization.  (all things I want to continue)  After we actually owned the sucker, it transformed through a lot of sheer will and hard work.  This will continue in 2014 because there are a lot of small projects I would like to get done.
  • We paid down some debt in 2013.  A fair amount considering what we make and that we also bought a house.  We're still playing around with our budget since living in the new house changes things.  But I'm being diligent about recording specifics and hope that we can continue to be frugal and wise with our money.
  • I felt invested in relationships, which I love.  My community doesn't look like what it once did.  A lot of it exists outside of my physical address.  But maintaining those long distance relationships is working.  I need to stay on top of that.  Letters, phone calls, emails, and lots of coffee and get togethers with those that live close by.
  • I wrote!!  2 books and started a 3rd which has been so much fun.  I want to continue this in 2014.  To write and rewrite.  
  • Dave and I grew in our relationship, which is something I will always want.
  • My relationship with God broadened, some in ways I was seeking and some in ways that took me by surprise. I do however need to be more intentional about this, which is really a double edged sword for me.  Because I need to be disciplined but that can turn really quickly into rendering God to something on my to-do list.  Still looking to find balance on that one.
  • I have started to learn more about not having to do everything.  About simplifying and focusing on certain things and not everything.  I am a bit spastic and generally want to add everything imaginable to my to do list.  I have learned a little about cutting back this year but it is something I definitely need to be intentional about this coming year.
  • Similarly, in 2013 I started to discern what I should not attempt because it's an "ought to".  To leave things off my list.  Simplify, simplify, simplify.
  • Got back into working out hard-finally!
So what didn't work in 2013?
  • worry
  • stress
  • letting things pile up too much
  • not looking out for myself
  • being cautious
  • not doing
  • excuses
I'm trying to put together a list of goals for 2014, but really, maybe I should label them "intentions" and not "goals".  I don't want things I can just cross off a list.  I want to develop behaviors and habits and new ways of thinking.  Which means that I'll need to shed a bunch of old behaviors and habits and ways of thinking.  Which is the best (and only, really) way to do it.  So, for now, I'll mull over what worked and what didn't.  And go from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment