Sunday, January 12, 2014

On my bookshelf: love this trilogy

First of all, what's with all the YA trilogies?  In the olden days, you bought a book and the book was the entire story.  Not so much these days.  But lately I have been reading fantastic trilogies, so I guess I can't complain.



Last week I read Fire and Thorns trilogy by Rae Carson.  The beauty of these too is that all three have been written so I was able to check all three out of the library at once and read them back to back.  Which, in my opinion, is the only way to read a series.  None of this 'waiting for the third book to be published' mess which has been the literary theme of my past year.

I loved these!  They follow the story of Elisa, who as a God-stone (something 1 person every century is given).  She is destined for possible greatness if she can fulfill God's purpose for her.  The thing is, she doesn't know what that purpose is.  And a lot of bearers of the God stone died young, and many without doing anything seemingly great.  Elisa gets married off to the king of a country that is falling apart, and many seek her for her Godstone because they think she will be what saves them.

Lots of action and drama and romance.  But I also loved how it explored the issue of "God's purpose".  Throughout the series, many do things, both good and bad, under the provision of it being "God's will."  And Elisa has a hard time knowing what she is supposed to do and worrying that she is a failure.  The story is a really neat way to explore God's purpose and will without that being the overt storyline.  Which is ironic, because I can't tell if the author is a Christian or not.

If you like YA fantasy, I definitely recommend!  These I might have to own some day.

1 comment: