Friday, January 3, 2014

On my bookshelf

So lately I have read the following:

"Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" by Maria Semple.

This was so fun.  It's a story about a lady who goes missing and her daughter's quest to find her.  Though really (despite this being the description you read on the book jacket) it's so much more than that.   It's about how a person can lose herself and find herself.  On abandoning dreams and finding them again.  I loved this.  It was so fun and quirky.  I want Bernadette to be a real person and I want to drive with her in Knoxville traffic and rant about the bad drivers together.  Loved it.



Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Oh man.  One of the best books I've read all year and one of my top 3 middle grade books EVER.  This is story about Willow, who is a genius and who finds it comforting to count by 7s.  Willow's adoptive parents suddenly die in a car crash and this book is about the people that surround Willow afterward.  I loved this.  It speaks of relationships where we don't expect them, and how people help us mend, and how you can find family in the most unusual places.  Endearing, quirky, beautiful.  Loved, loved, loved it.



Defianceby CJ Redwine (also Deception which is book #2)

Loved these.  Especially the second one, Deception.  These are dystopian, which I didn't really know until book 2 (I kindof suspected in book one, but the author doesn't spell it out which I loved.  I love an author who creates a reality and doesn't feel the need to explain it all like you're reading a newspaper.  The world was flawlessly set up in these books in my opinion).  It's a story about a girl Rachel and her quest to find her father.  She ends up being paired with Logan, her father's apprentice who she once confessed love to and who did not return her affections.  I loved the story.  I loved Rachel's transformation, and Logan's.  His story I really attached to because he has been orphaned and outcast and is starting to find his own worth.  Great stories.  Cannot wait for the third!

No comments:

Post a Comment