Monday, February 3, 2014

Dining Room

This last room took more effort than all the other rooms before it combined.  Like so many things in life, it was more work than what I had originally anticipated.  And like so many things in life, it made me curse and cry and act like an absolute terror.  Totally did me in.  So let's recount the horror, shall we?


We started with this:


Ah, nasty carpet, dingy walls, and lovely wallpaper.  
And the chandelier, straight from 1970.  One of the many things in this house that were older than both the hubs and I.  And again, do see the nastiness of that carpet?  We contacted the CDC when we pulled it, because we were certain there were some things in there they would be interested in.

First things first!  Carpet came up!  **Who puts carpet in their dining room?  Bad idea.**

New flooring!  This was the experience during which we vowed we will never lay linoleum flooring again.  Ever.  It was such a mess to work with.  It was rolled the wrong way and we ended up ripping it.  It is bulky and messy and just, no.  Never again.  
Ah, but look how nice it looked when it was finally down.  Looking better, but my hatred for this room had already started to fester.  

We moved the furniture in and took a break.  And I remember thinking to myself, "There's not that much more work left to do in here."
Naive.  That's the word you're thinking right now.  Naive.

Because this.  Wallpaper with more sheer will than a marine.  It clung to the wall until the end, and even then, some of the drywall died with it.  At this point, I hated the dining room passionately.  

It was at this point that I spent WEEKS removing wallpaper and wallpaper paste residue from the wall.  Then I had to putty all the damage.  And prime it.  And sand it.  And repeat.


And finally, here we were.  The paint job is horrible.  The part right above the chair rail had a weird texture to it so the line is a mess and all over the place.  No painting or taping trick I knew could get it to paint well.  Which honestly, made me want to cry.  Because I had worked so long and hard to get it to look good, and it doesn't.  But, ah well. You win some, you lose some.  And some just don't paint well.  But, it is finished.


Now all I have to do is get some pictures up on the walls.  And turn a blind eye to the many, many imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment