Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Here I raise my Ebenezer-

No, not this guy:

Ebenezer Scrooge
"Here I raise by Ebenezer."


First Samuel, chapter 7, is where we get this from. Samuel raised a large stone as a monument to God helping the Israelites defeat the Philistines.  Samuel called the stone an Ebenezer, meaning "stone of help", and said "Here the Lord helped us."

Our God is amazingly faithful.

If you find yourself at a place in life where you feel like God is holding out, or letting you down, or just stalling, I highly encourage you to sit down with a piece of paper, and start writing down all the ways God has proven Himself faithful....all the ways He has provided, even things that you didn't even ask Him for or know you needed.  All the things He's given.  All the wisdom in decisions, the friends who encourage you, the physical provision.  Start and you'll find that it's hard to stop.

It's a good lesson.  Sometimes when I feel like God isn't up to something, I need to remind myself of what He has already done.

I need to remember it.

God told the Israelites to remember what He's done.  They had festivals and holidays, meals and prayers, all so that they could remember, and pass on to their children, the faithfulness of God.

It's amazing what a visible reminder of something will do to you.

I started making a list again here recently of all that God has done for Dave and I just in the past couple of years.  The list was staggering. It left me repenting to God for forgetting who He is and for thinking so little of Him.  It also left me hopeful, because it reminded me of how Big and Good my God is.

I want to make sure I don't forget.  I want to have a wall in our house of Ebenezers; places where we write on cards or draw pictures or somehow mark the ways in which God has helped us.

Really, I want a wall plastered with crayon drawing and handwritten index cards and a million other things.  A wall of reminders.  A wall of "stones of help" so that we, and our children, never forget all that God does.

How about you?  Go grab a legal pad, or a post it note, or a long roll of butcher paper, and start writing down what God has done so far for You.  Tack it to your dashboard or your bathroom mirror, or wallpaper your room with it.  May we not forget what God has done.  May we stop to acknowledge and point out, to God and to others, that "here the Lord has helped us."


No comments:

Post a Comment